Category: ghosts

Meet Resurrection Mary, the ghost of Archer Av…

Meet Resurrection Mary, the ghost of Archer Avenue:

Just southwest of Chicago, on Archer Avenue in Justice,
Illinois, across the street from Resurrection Cemetery, is a bar called Chet’s
Melody Lounge. Chet’s is a classic roadside tavern, with a pool table, a
jukebox, a popcorn machine, and a large clientele of bikers. But Chet’s has an
unusual tradition: every Sunday, the staff leaves a Bloody Mary at the end of
the bar for a ghost. The ghost’s name is Resurrection Mary, and she has haunted
this stretch of Archer since the 1930s, when she picked up young men dancing to
the big bands at the Oh Henry Ballroom. 

Click
here to continue reading this article by the Chicago Reader.

Delta Queen: The Ghost of “Ma” Greene

The Delta Queen, a paddle steamboat, was assembled at
Banner Island Shipyard in Stockton, California in May of 1927. She was one of
the most luxurious American steamboats ever built at a cost of one million
dollars. 

Mary Becker Greene fondly known as “Ma” was once the owner and co-captain of
the Delta Queen. It is she who haunts the boat to this day. She was the first
female licensed riverboat captain along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. 

While alive, Ma maintained a family atmosphere on the boat—she was a strong
supporter of temperance and did not allow liquor to be served on the Delta Queen. 

In April of 1949 after helping her son dock the Delta
Queen at her homeport on the Ohio River in Cincinnati, Ma retired to her cabin
where she passed away at the age of 79. 

After her death a saloon was established on board the
Delta Queen but shortly after the first drink was served a barge crashed into
the Delta Queen. When the crew was finally able to untangle the mess they were
amazed to discover the name of the barge was the Captain Mary B. 

So it appeared a barge carrying Ma’s name had managed to stop the one thing she
never wanted on board the Delta Queen–liquor. After this incident Ma’s ghost
started to appear on the Queen.

Click
here to read the entire article by Seeks Ghosts.

Ghosts in Court: The Historic Lowes Cottage De…

Ghosts in Court: The Historic Lowes Cottage Decision:

Lowes [or Loews] Cottage was purchased in 1994  by Andrew and Josie Smith, when the couple moved into the dilapidated cottage with their children. Because of its condition, the Smiths had gotten the cottage for a low price, purchasing it with the intention to fix and flip it quickly for a hefty profit.  But according to the Smith’s, that dream was broken when they found out that the little cottage was home to more than them. According to the Smiths, a spirit or spirits had already taken up residence at the home, and did not appear particularly amenable to sharing the abode with the family.

[…]

As the Smith’s asked questions and sought counsel from religious and paranormal experts, notoriety about the small cottage began to build. At one point the Smith’s tried to refinance the mortgage on the home, only to have the bank turn down their request. It was at this point that the Smiths did something arguably different from the many other families that report having moved into haunted locations, the Smiths decided to sue the former owners for non-disclosure.

Ghost Expedition Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland:…

Ghost Expedition Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland: Nassawango Furnace Archaeological Site/Furnace Town Living Heritage Village

According to the historian Mercedes Quesada-Embid, the story of Furnacetown and the Nassawango Iron Furnace in Snow Hill Maryland involves transitions through eras of colonial expansion, industrial boom and bust, abandonment followed by environmental renewal, conservation and historic preservation 

The wetlands, forests and coasts in the greater Nassawango Creek were initially settled by the Pokemoke and Assateague tribes. In the Pokemoke language, Nassawango means “the ground between the streams.”  The Nassawango Creek is the main tributary of the Pokemoke river which empties into the Chesapeake Bay

The initial contact with the native tribes was made by the Englishman, Captain John Smith in 1608.  Native villages were not concentrated nor permanent settlements; families and tribes relocated as seasons changed.  Small areas and passages were cleared for hunting and gathering, farming and protection

The initial exchanges between natives and settlers were cooperative during a short-lived fur trading industry.  As settlements expanded and colonial land uses turned toward tobacco farming, forest areas were cleared for agricultural use.  Deforestation and the rise of large-scale plantations altered the natural habitat  accelerating the disappearance of the native way of life, leading to conflicts over land  

Native tribes were relocated to a portion of the Nassawango near present day Snow Hill known as Askiminkonson, which in Algonquin means “stony place where they pick early berries.” The swampy lowland was considered not suitable for farming.  Native petitions to the English government were unsuccessful and the reservation dwindled.  By 1750 there there was no native presence

there

Nassawango creek entered an industrial era when a charter was granted to the Maryland Iron Company in 1829.  The company claimed 5000 acres of forest and swamp lands, which were rich in bog ore, as well as a gristmill, sawmill and millpond. A hot blast furnace was built by 1831. From oral histories, the company erected a

“furnace town”

with streets, company stores, a blacksmith, a dressmaker, hotel, post office and church

The company ran into financial troubles by 1832 and was fully acquired by a wealthy Philadelphia-based industrialist named Ben Jones by 1834.  In 1835, the operation was leased to a Thomas Spence, a young lawyer based in Snow Hill.  For a time the operation flourished and was producing 700 tons of pig iron annually. The furnace ran for 24 hours per day for 32 weeks out of the year.  Light from the orange flames produced by the furnace could be seen for miles

However, poor ore quality and declining market demand led to closure by 1850. Nearly all of Furnace Town’s residents departed leaving a ghost town. After the furnace closed, the property was used by successive owners for timber rights.  However, for the next 100 years, the land was untouched and ecological processes began to restore the wetlands, forests and habitats that had been cleared or polluted by slag by industrialization  

Land surrounding the old furnace was donated to the Worcester County Historical Society (WCHS)

in 1962. The Nature Conservancy (TNC) acquired adjoining lands from 1977 to 1981.  WCHS and TNC partnered to preserve area history and ecology and beginning in 1977 had moved several historic buildings to site to form the Furnace Town Living Heritage Museum.

The partnership formed the Furnace Town Foundation in 1982.   

The Pokemoke Forest has many folklore and legends to include the Hook-Man, Goat-Man, fireballs and lights, slave and swamp ghosts, and elemental creatures.  Furnace Town itself is said to haunted by the ghosts of several former area residents to include the late Sampson Harmon, the town’s last resident

Sampson Harmon was a free African-American born in Nassawango Hills. He was said to be a

“big, tall, fast, and strong man.”  He was the “go-to” worker at the iron furnace and worked very hard to provide for his family. Sampson always wore a hat and was fictionalized as “Sampson Hat” in George Alfred Townsend’s novel “The Entailed Hat”

 

When the iron furnace closed Sampson insisted on staying in Furnace Town. His dying wish was to have his ashes left at his homestead but this was not granted. His ghost is said to wander and guard the area

The ghost expedition will seek to obtain “drop-in” communications connected with the rich and storied history of the Nassawango

REFERENCES:

‘Folk Tale Trilogy’ Is Celebration Of Stories. (1988, Jul 6). The Daily Times (Salisbury MD).

Furnace Town Living Heritage Village. (2018). Nassawango Furnace Archaeological Site, Worcester County, Snow Hill MD. Furnace Town.

Kester-McCabe, D. Tales of Snow Hill. Delmarva Almanac.

LeVan, K., and Reiten A, (2006). The Snow Hill Historic District. Snow Hill Historic District Commission. Town of Snow Hill Maryland.

Lutz, L. (2005, Jun 1). Nassawango’s furnace – and forest – rising from the ruins. Bay Journal.

Miller, N. (1973, Apr). National Register of Historic Places Registration. Nassawango Iron Furnace Site. Maryland Historical Trust.

Quesada-Embid, M. (2004). Five Hundred Years on Five Thousand Acres: Human Attitudes and Land Use at Nassawango Creek, Native Americans of the Delmarva Peninsula. Edward H. Nab Research Center for Delmarva History and Culture, Salisbury University Libraries, Maryland Shared Open Access Repository (SOAR).

Robbins, M.W. (1972). The Maryland Iron Industry. Manuscript prepared for the Maryland Bi-centennial Commission, Annapolis, Maryland.

Runkle, S. A. (2003, Sep). Native American Waterbody and Place Names within the Susquehanna River Basin and Surrounding Subbasins Publication 229. Susquehanna River Basin Commission.

Sampson Harmon: Furnace Town’s Resident Cat Collecting Ghost. (2012, Oct 30). ShoreBread.

Searching for history at Furnace Town. (1990, Aug 5). The Daily Times (Salisbury MD).

Teich, I. 14 Myths and Legends Surrounding Maryland’s Haunted Pocomoke Forest. Ranker.

Touart, P. (2009). Worcesters’s African American Heritage. Worcester County Tourism.

Worcester County, Maryland: Historical Chronology. Maryland State Archives.

IMAGES:

Bourne, M.O., photographer. (1969, Nov). Furnace Stack, looking southeast. Nassawango Furnace Archaeological Site, Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland. Maryland Historical Trust.

Bourne, M.O., photographer.

(1969, Nov). Detail, hot air apparatus, looking northeast. Nassawango Furnace Archaeological Site, Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland. Maryland Historical Trust.

DETAIL, ¾ VIEW OF HOT BLAST STOVE ON TOP OF FURNACE SHOWING CAST-IRON RETORTS AND TURNED HEAD (WHERE RAW MATERIALS WERE LOADED INTO FURNACE). Nassawango Iron Furnace, Furnace Road, 1.2 miles west of Maryland Route 12, Snow Hill, Worcester County, MD. Historic American Engineering Record, Library of Congress.

HAER MD,24-SNOHI.V,2- (sheet 6 of 12) – Nassawango Iron Furnace, Furnace Road, 1.2 miles west of Maryland Route 12, Snow Hill, Worcester County, MD. 

Historic American Engineering Record, Library of Congress.

Sculpture of Sampson Harmon. (2018). Furnace Town Living Heritage Village. Furnace Town Foundation.

Photograph of Sampson Harmon. (2009). In Worcesters’s African American Heritage. Worcester County Tourism. Courtesy of the Julia A Purnell Museum.

Robbins, M.W., photographer.

(1972). Furnace casting hearth, looking west. Nassawango Furnace Archaeological Site, Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland. Maryland Historical Trust.

Nassawango Iron Furnace, looking southeast. (2018). Worcester County, Snow Hill Maryland. Furnace Town Living Heritage Village.

MARYLAND PARANORMAL CONFERENCE

MARYLAND PARANORMAL CONFERENCE:

2nd Annual Maryland Paranormal Conference:  A event for those curious or serious about the paranormal.  

The conference will be held Aug 4 2018 in Gambrills MD from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm The conference will feature six well-known professional speakers.  The link is to the conference registration web page.

Maryland Paranormal Research ® will give the presentation “Ghosts, Poltergeists and Hauntings.”   This presentation will provide a survey of academic parapsychology research on Ghost, Poltergeists & Hauntings from 1885 to present.

10 Most Haunted RV Parks in Texas

10 Most Haunted RV Parks in Texas:

10) Rio Guadalupe Resort – Canyon Lake, TX
9) Fredericksburg KOA – Fredericksburg, TX
8) Northshore RV Resort – Lake Livingston, TX
7) Mill Creek Ranch Resort – Canton, TX
6) Buckhorn Lake Resort – Kerrville, TX
5) Lakeview RV Resort – Houston, TX
4) San Jacinto Riverfront RV Resort – Highlands, TX
3) La Hacienda RV Resort & Cabins – Austin, TX
2) Rayford Crossing RV Resort – Spring, TX
1) South Padre Island KOA – South Padre Island, TX

The “Scary Dairy” of Camarillo, CA

The “Scary Dairy” of Camarillo, CA:

There is something inherently spooky about abandoned farm buildings. Remote, hulking, and isolated, their weathered remains have the feeling of a drifting ghost ship or a deserted space station, making one wonder, “What happened here?” And if those buildings were on a farm that was worked by patients of an early-20th-century mental hospital? That might sound like a deleted subplot from the second season of American Horror Story, but it’s actually the real backstory of what’s come to be known as the “Scary Dairy.”


On the paranormal activity reported at the “Scary
Dairy,” from Backpackerverse: 

Haunted Activity at the Scary Dairy

For the serious ghost hunter or paranormal
investigator, the Scary Dairy of Camarillo is a bit of a jackpot. It’s home to
numerous cold spots, especially around the tanks that still stand just
outside the main building. Small objects left lying out, especially keys, are
almost invariably found moved or missing when their owner returns. A few people
have even reported seeing them move on their own.

One team used a thermal camera and spotted what
appeared to be a tendril of mist forming around an antique handcuff key that
they left out as bait. In the morning when they returned, the key had fallen to
the ground. They were unable to see on the camera footage when exactly this
occurred.

Spirits able to exert a physical influence on the mortal
world are exceedingly rare, and their presence points to a very strong
concentration of paranormal energy. Ghosts tend to wax and wane
in power depending on where they are found, more than the
circumstances of their own death.

Some experts postulate that the land upon which the
Mental Hospital and the Scary Dairy were built has a deeper, darker past.

Animal Ghosts at the Scary Dairy

One wonders if perhaps the cows and other dairy animals
are still present in a spectral form.

At the Scary Dairy, it seems entirely possible that the
tight clustering of animals combined with the paranormal activity already
present. Such a confluence of ghostly energy could potentially allow
for at least a few of them to remain on the scene, albeit in a diminished form.

Most likely, these poor creatures are confused and
entirely unaware of their surroundings. Unlike the human victims of
the Scary Dairy, these spectral cows and other creatures are almost certainly
harmless.

A woman in Alabama has claimed to see God walk…

A woman in Alabama has claimed to see God walking in the clouds. (Via: YouTube)

Business owner closing doors after claiming to…

Business owner closing doors after claiming to catch paranormal activity on tape:

“We are closed today to make sure everyone is safe,” owner April Ward said. Her concerns stem from security video which appears to show a makeshift barricade falling over.

“I still get chills, my husband won’t come in here,” Ward said. “It’s weird, it’s crazy.”

Ward said she found the collapsed barricade. It isn’t the first times she’s found it knocked over and she initially thought someone was prowling around the cafe. Then she and her husband watched the security video…

Top Mysterious Ghost Car Crash Videos – Unexplained Mysteries

Top Mysterious Ghost Car Crash Videos – Unexplained Mysteries